Poached Trout with Cream Sauce, Saffron Rice, and Steamed Vegetables

My original idea was to create a full meal that could be completed in the time it takes to cook the rice. However, between chatting with my cooking partner, julienning, drinking wine, and general dawdling the meal ended up taking about an hour to cook up. In theory I could have done it faster, and perhaps my next attempt will be much speedier. I will write out the recipe as I imagine it should be organized, not how I actually cooked it. For more gluten-free dinner ideas visit The Gluten-Free Homemaker. She hosts our What's for Dinner? Wednesday blog carnival.

Julienne:

1-3 vegetables

Heat in a pan large enough to snugly accomodate the fish on a very low heat:

1-2 cups white wine (substitute a light broth if you desire)
salt
2 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs. We used tarragon and chives.
1/4 tsp of your favorite aromatic spice mix. Garam masala or a curry powder would work well.

In a small pan, heat on high:

rice
water
salt
a few pinches of saffron

(Once the water boils, turn the heat down to low and cook for 20 minutes, covered.)

While the rice is cooking, start the water boiling for your steamed vegetables and check the heat of the wine in your other pan. When it reaches 150 degrees, add:

2 pieces of trout, cod, halibut, or your favorite soft-fleshed fish.

Cover the fish tightly and cook until just done, about 5-10 minutes. When the fish is done, remove it to a platter and put it in a warm oven. Strain the liquid from the fish into a small pan and cook over a medium-high heat to reduce the liquid. Once it is reduced to the point that it has thickened somewhat, turn the heat down and add:

a touch of cream (optional)
salt to taste

Put the vegetable in the steamer and cook for about 1-2 minutes.

Arrange everything on a plate and serve.

Photobucket

Comments

Babyfro said…
All I can say is mmmmmmmmm!
Lindsay Kelley said…
today in ranch 99 they announced a special on goat & i thought of you!
Linda said…
Delicious. Healthy. Beautiful. Thanks!
Anonymous said…
A great meal as the weather warms and I'm looking to lighten-up my menus.
Liz said…
Beautiful photos and tasty looking meal! I'll have to try this soon.
JoAnn said…
Gorgeous presentation! I will definitely have to try your recipes.
Emilia said…
That looks delicious and I love the use of saffron and cream here :)
Anonymous said…
Yum! Your presentation is beautiful!
Jessie
Brian said…
Great pictures! This sounds very good. Thanks for sharing.
Anonymous said…
Wow, what an impressive dish! Looks so good and healthy too!
yum, I think my boys would eat that too. Thank you for sharing.
thewholegang said…
I love trout. What a great way to cook it!

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread