The Steak and Potatoes Diet

When I realized that I would have to be on a gluten-free diet for the rest of my life, one of my primary thoughts was: I can still eat steak. In fact, when people try to have pity on me for my dietary restrictions, I tell them that I love my diet: it includes steak, potatoes, and ice cream.

You probably don't need instructions on how to cook steak and potatoes. I'm mentioning it for What's for Dinner? Wednesday not because I think people need to know more about steak and potatoes, but because I sometimes like to remind myself to keep it simple. Simple is delicious.

For more gluten-free dinner ideas see Linda at the Gluten-free Homemaker.

My friend and I bought all the main ingredients for this meal at the Portland Farmer's Market. The herbs were picked form the garden - they miraculously survived the winter. First I cleaned and prepped the potatoes. We put a dry skillet in the oven at 400 degrees to heat up. I mixed some walnut oil, salt, sage, and thyme together. I rubbed the oil mixture all over the potatoes and some purple carrots and placed them in the hot pan, which then went in the oven to roast. Some of the oil mixture was left over, and I basted the potatoes with that midway through cooking. The potatoes took about 40 minutes.

In the meantime we simply rubbed the steak with some walnut oil and seared it in a cast-iron skillet on the stove. That went in the oven for a few minutes too.

Once the steak was in the oven we cooked up some greens. We had already washed and dried some tatsoi greens and some black trumpet mushrooms (one is sitting on top of the steak in the picture below). Those got sauteed in some oil and salt in a skillet on the stove. When they were done we pulled everything out of the oven, salted the steak, and dished it up for a beautiful meal.



Comments

GORGEOUS food photography.
Babyfro said…
You're completely right. There is nothing like keeping it simple. I love a good simple meal. Just the other night I prepared we had a meal of just baked potatoes. Nice and easy, filling and naturally gluten free. Thank you for the reminder simple food is good food too.
thewholegang said…
Why do all of these great meals seem to get cooked so far from me. I'd be over for dinner in a second! I've not cooked much with black trumpet mushrooms. Can you describe their flavor and texture more? They look great!
Anonymous said…
Your pictures are so pretty! I'm glad you took the time to give us another yummy steak and potato recipe! I will definately be trying your version.
Anonymous said…
My daughter asked for simple meat and potatoes meals this week. She likes the basics done well. I needed to be reminded. I, however, like all the noise and texture of a spicy vegetarian curry.Poor child has to beg for a nice steak dinner. Can she come to your house?
Brian said…
Great pictures. You can never go wrong with a good steak. My wife and I found a little butcher shop in our area that sell amazing prime cut aged steaks. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Linda said…
We're definitely a meat and potatoes family. Your dinner looks delicious. I haven't used walnut oil. I'll have to give it a try.
Gina said…
TheWholeGang - Black trumpet mushrooms have a very mild, earthy flavor. Their texture is just right - delicate yet firm. To me they kind of taste and feel like oyster mushrooms, but I like them even more. They are a bit hard to photograph because they are so dark.

If anyone is in Portland and wants to come over for dinner let me know!
hi gina,
we haven't tried that pasta brand yet either--my son LOVES tinkyada.

care to exchange links?
Mmmm looks delicious! I'd have a hard time going gluten free, but I think I'd have an even harder time giving up steak.
Unknown said…
Yummy. I like how well your photos turned out as well. I am adding you to my blog roll, I hope that is ok! I like your blog a lot! Oh, and as per your comment on my blog, they make GF beer :)
Emilia said…
The food looks delicious!

Simple is always best in my opinion; eating gluten-free is easy when using naturally gluten-free foods, like meat and potatoes, veggies etc.
Marlow said…
Yum! I'm so glad steak doesn't naturally contain gluten!
Mikki Black said…
It is so funny that we had the same thought.

Who can complain when you still get steak, potatoes, and ice cream?


-sigh- Steak is the best.

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread