Butternut Squash Pie


I love pumpkin, but for some reason, I've never liked pumpkin pie. I've tried to get into it, but it's been over thirty years now and I have to admit that I've been unsuccessful. I have, however, found a solution: Butternut Squash Pie.

I make this pie as more of a custard than your standard pumpkin pie. I go a little light on the seasonings and the sugar. Butternut squash is naturally sweet so you don't have to add a ton of sugar.

Butternut Squash Pie Recipe
(A clever substitute for Pumpkin pie)

Have a (gluten-free) pie crust ready to bake. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. With a cleaver or other dependable knife, remove all the seeds and cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes:

1.5 lb butternut squash

Roast the squash on a baking sheet or roasting pan until it feels done when poked with a fork. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature. Puree the squash in a food processor. In a large bowl, whisk:

3 large eggs

Whisk in:

2 1/2 cups of the butternut squash puree
1 cup cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt

You may use a cooked or uncooked pie crust for this recipe.  Pour the squash custard into the crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-45 minutes, depending on the depth of your pan. The center of the pie should still seem jiggly when you pull it out of the oven. The pie will cook through and set as it cools.  Let it cool completely, then refrigerate it for at least two hours.  Serve warm, room temperature, or chilled.

Comments

jean said…
Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites but, most people don't seem to make it right for some reason. I will have to try this recipe, though but, will make my crust gluten-free.
Ben said…
Sounds great, Gina, it's on my 'to make' list!
Gina said…
Great, Ben, I hope you like it! Let me know how it comes out!

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread