Thursday, June 23, 2011

Cilantro Pesto Recipe

Right now, I have plenty of cilantro.  It grows like weeds in my garden.  I love cilantro.  In honor of this  prolific herb,  I created a fresh pesto recipe.  This recipe is dairy-free, and the lime juice keeps it fresh long after other pesto sauces would expire.  See some recommendations for gluten-free pasta here



Cilantro Pesto

2 C fresh cilantro leaves from your garden
1/3 C Brazil nuts or walnuts

1 clove garlic

1/3 C extra-virgin olive oil
1 squirt lime juice
1/4-1/2 tsp salt

ground white pepper to taste



Blend all ingredients in a food processor until evenly minced, scraping down the sides as you go.  Taste for balance of flavors and adjust.  Serve tossed with hot pasta.  It's that easy!

2 comments:

glutenfreeportland.org said...

This is really close to a pesto recipe we just discovered which uses cilantro, like yours, but instead of the nuts you used, has pistachios. It's awesome!!!

Gina said...

Gluten-free Portland: You could use whatever kind of nuts you prefer in this recipe - just substitute out the brazil nuts for the same amount of line nuts or walnuts. I haven't tried pistachios, but I bet that tastes amazing! Plus it would add even more color. I'm sure I could spend hours experimenting to find out which nut is the absolute best. Thanks for the comment!