Sourdough Pizza Recipe with Sourdough and Yeast

I have been trying various methods of doing a fully sourdough-leavened pizza for awhile, but the timing is tricky.  I've started to just do a "hybrid" sourdough recipe that also uses yeast, and it's been fantastic.  I get the texture and flavor of sourdough while also having the benefits of the rising power and easier time management of baker's yeast.  This recipe offers a few different variations that makes it easy to work for a vegan crust.


Here are Amazon USA links to some of the equipment used:

Perforated Pizza Pan

I use the Pampered Chef Pizza Stone which is amazing

But I've also used less expensive pizza stones like this one

Actually the least expensive pizza stone I ever had I sourced at a local restaurant supply store.

I haven't invested in a Pizza Peel yet but I like the looks of this wooden one

I also like the looks of this metal pizza peel with detachable wooden handle.

And of course I have had my eye on an OONI PIZZA OVEN for awhile.  Is this this year to get one? 

I upgraded to this RÖSLE Stainless Steel Pizza Cutter and it's held up really well for years. 

It's optional to use a Kitchenaid Artisan Stand Mixer with either the original or Kitchenaid glass bowl

After my originals wore out after about 10 years of hard gluten-free mixing, I have also purchased new Replacement Kitchenaid attachements



Sourdough Discard Pizza Recipe

Mix time: 10 minutes

First rise: 20-90 minutes

Second rise: 20-30 minutes

Bake time: 10-15 minutes

 

In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the 175g flour consisting of:

    50g brown or white rice flour

    50g millet flour

    35g tapioca flour

    40g potato starch

Mix in all the other dry ingredients:

    2g dry yeast

    15g whole psyllium husk

    4g salt

    12g sugar

Once the dry ingredients are thoroughly blended, mix in the wet ingredients:

    220g milk or water

    100g sourdough starter or sourdough discard (Click here for sourdough starter recipe)

I used a brown rice starter, but any should do. I've also tested this recipe with quinoa starter. Let the mixture rest for at least 20 minutes, or longer to let it rise about 50%.  Then re-mix the dough - it will have firmed up by then and can be kneaded or mixed in the stand mixer with the paddle or dough hook. Mix in:

12g (or 1 Tbsp) olive oil

Mix into a smooth dough and divide into two equal pieces.  Roll out each piece of dough into about a 12-inch circle on a well-floured surface.  Alternately, you can oil the surface of the dough to prevent sticking. If you would like to do a Neapolitan style pizza as pictured for the margarita pizza, press the dough out into a circle with your fingertips to form a very thin crust with a thicker edge.

Cover the dough with parchment paper, a cloth, or a large lid or bowl and let it rise for 20-30 minutes or until it looks puffy.  In the meantime heat your oven to 450-500°f (230°C or more).  If using a pizza stone, preheat that in the oven as well.

I have used the perforated pizza pan pictured for several pizzas.  It does not need to be pre-heated.

Par-bake the crust for three minutes.  Remove it from the oven and flip it over, top, and bake again for another 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is browning toward the center of the pizza.  Let cool for a few minutes for easier slicing.




Enjoy your gluten-free sourdough pizza!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread