Gluten-free Buckwheat Pancakes

When I created my Gluten-free Quinoa Pancake Recipe, I promised to give you a variation on it soon. That was six months ago. Since then I have been diligently trying to come up with a new twist on the recipe. Well, here is my variation:

Substitute 1/2 cup of buckwheat flour for the 1/2 cup of quinoa flour.

Why did that take me six months to figure out, when I was pretty sure that it would work from the beginning?

Buckwheat is a fairly complicated foodstuff. It can be processed and milled in a variety of ways before it hits the shelf. I was trying to manipulate this recipe using a buckwheat flour that I wasn't familiar with, and which had a completely different consistency and grind than what I was used to. The flour kept absorbing too much of the liquid, producing a gummy, thick batter that was nearly impossible to cook. I ended up switching to Bob's Red Mill Organic Buckwheat Flour, even though it is not one of their specially processed "certified gluten-free" flours. So, for those worried about cross-contamination with wheat flour this may not be the flour for you. However, it is a flour that behaves as it should. I also used this brand of flour in my Buckwheat Waffles Recipe and my Quick Buckwheat Waffle Recipe.

What kind of buckwheat flour do you buy? Any tips on finding one that's certified gluten-free?

Comments

Gluten Prude said…
I tried this recipe and it was amazing! I've never had such great gluten-free pancakes before. I love the flavor and texture that buckwheat lends to the recipe. These pancakes looked and tasted just like "regular" pancakes. Delicious!
Amy @ SS&GF said…
I've been using Arrowhead Mills - certified organic and gluten-free. What brand were you using? Just curious. I've used buckwheat a few times but it sounds like you have much more experience with it than I do.
Gina said…
Amy,

I was using Fairhaven Mills 100% Whole Grain Organic Buckwheat flour. It was very, very different from other buckwheat flours I've tried. I've heard that Arrowhead Mills has a GF buckwheat flour, but have not seen it in my local stores - even those that carry Arrowhead Mills. I suppose you can get it online. How does it taste?
Lindsay Kelley said…
Gina, remember how you met Michael Mandiberg for 5 minutes last time I was in Portland? Check out his new work: http://www.mandiberg.com/2009/11/17/scanned-laser-cut-books/ It's gluten free!
Unknown said…
Hi-Lindsay told me about your link. I have been making buckwheat pancakes with 1 cup sorghum flour and 1/2 cup buckwheat--with olive oil. I will have to try your recipe now! Thanks!
l'actrice said…
I alway bought the one at Trader Joe's when I lived in LA. They have a huge section for gluten free stuff. I don't know if there even exists a TJ in your area! It worded out perfectly for delicious pancakes:-)
Linda said…
I bought some buckwheat to use in my mill, but I'm still using up a bag of Arrowhead Mills. I really like buckwheat pancakes, and yours look good too.
I've used Arrowhead Mills and now the bulk from Azure Standard (not certified GF though). Buckwheat pancakes are the best! I know what you mean about flour brands; once I bought some bulk brown rice flour that was nearly as coarse as cornmeal! Yikes.
I use Arrowhead mills. I love that you used quinoa flour - it's one of my favorite GF flours! The flavor is so good. For most of my other flour purchases, I use Bob's Red Mills.
Martha said…
Oh my word, these are amazing! I rarely ever made pancakes because I just wasn't that crazy about them. That has changed as of today. Wonderful recipe. Thank you!

I used Bob's buckwheat flour.
Gina said…
Martha, I'm glad they worked so well for you! That's good to hear. I think buckwheat pancakes have a really delicious flavor that is hard to resist. I'm actually more of a waffle person myself, but I do like these pancakes!

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread