Deluxe Pastry Flour Blend

Use this pastry flour blend for all pie crusts, pastries, and waffles, or as an all-purpose flour.

GF Pastry Flour Blend


150g white rice flour
50g sorghum flour
25g tapioca flour
25g potato starch
4g (1.5 tsp) xanthan gum

Mix thoroughly.

Total: 254g or a little less than 2 cups

If you want a different amount of flour, you can multiply the amount or use these percentages:


60% white rice flour
20% sorghum flour
10% tapioca flour
10% potato starch
1.6% xanthan gum

(I know this adds up to more than 100% - but I like to keep it in round numbers for easier calculation).

I suppose I could build a calculator for this, but what I do with my flour blends is make a large batch of 10x or 20x a single recipe and store it in a food bin, which I label with the flour blend type. I buy my food bins at a local restaurant supply store, Rose's Equipment.  You can also buy these online at Amazon (be sure to also order the lid).


Once the blend is mixed thoroughly, I scoop out how much I need per recipe and measure by weight (135g per cup).  This makes cooking gluten free so much faster when I don't have to weigh each type of flour for every recipe!

Comments

Kati said…
In your opinion, would gf oat flour sub straight across for the white rice flour?
Gina said…
Oat flour tends to be very heavy, dense, and sticky. It's not similar at all to white rice flour, so I'm not sure that the substitution would work. If you are looking for a rice-free blend, or something higher in whole grains and fiber, then my bread flour blend might work for you.
Jules said…
Gina can I substitute the xanthan gum for psyllium as well?

What amount to should I use?
Gina said…
Jules - sometimes. I haven't been able to establish a solid formula for this flour blend with psyllium. For 250g pastry flour I have used about a tablespoon of ground psyllium husk, but it can vary per recipe. Keep in mind that psyllium does not absorb fats well, so that can make some rich pastry recipes difficult to do with psyllium husk as your gluten substitute. I've found that psyllium works better for fat-free yeasted doughs than for pastries.
Unknown said…
Hi Jules, I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to substitute Tapioca Flour with Arrowroot flour? Sadly, I can’t do Tapioca, and I found that arrowroot works pretty good, but I’m wondering if i can sub it 1:1..

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread