Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Vegan Teff Sandwich Bread Recipe

Years ago I posted the very popular Best Teff Sandwich Recipe.  That recipe uses xanthan gum and eggs, which some people can't do.  Here I have developed a recipe that's xanthan gum free, egg-free, and vegan.  Check out the Artisan Teff Bread Recipe if you'd like to use my bread flour blend.


Vegan Teff Sandwich Bread Recipe


Mix time: 10 minutes
Rise time: 1.5-2 hours
Bake time: 45-55 minutes


In a medium bowl, mix together:

200g (1 1/4C) teff flour
100g (3/4 C) sorghum flour
75g (1/2 C) tapioca flour
75g (1/2 C) potato starch
24g (2 Tbsp) sugar
6g (1 tsp.) salt

Set this mixture aside and in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer whisk together:

520g (2 1/3 C) warm water
30g (1/3 C) whole psyllium husk
2g (1 tsp.) yeast

Set aside 50g (1/2 C) of the flour mixture and put the rest of the dry ingredients in the bowl with the wet ingredients.  Blend with a paddle or dough hook on your stand mixer, or blend with a wooden spoon, until the dry ingredients are incorporated.  The dough will be wet, sticky, and shaggy.


Let the dough rise, covered, for about one hour.





After the first rise, blend in the rest of the flour that you set aside.  Pat the dough out into a square or rectangle. I usually place it on parchment paper or wax paper for this step for easier handling.



Roll the dough into a log.



Tuck the edges of the log under and place it in a greased bread pan or pullman pan.





Let the dough rise, covered, for 30-45 minutes, or until a finger dent stops filling in quickly.  Pre-heat your oven to 450° F mid-say through this last rise.  Bake at 450° for 45-55 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when tapped with the knuckles.  Turn the bread out to cool on a wire rack.



3 comments:

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Beautiful bread, Gina! Can't wait to share your link on my Facebook page and in an upcoming Bountiful Bread Basket series post! I know so many will appreciate this recipe. :-)

Shirley

Anonymous said...

The consistency is completely different. I followed the recipe but still ended up with very wet mixture that did not resemble the dough in the pictures.

James L. said...

Hello, I would just like to thank you for this amazing recipe! I've made it multiple times and always love it. I've only switched the potato starch for corn starch because it's easier and cheaper to get in my area. This bread has such a nice grain taste, completely unlike the bland gluten-free white breads sold in stores. I'm very thankful you managed to make it vegan; I had kind of pushed bread aside when I became vegan because I figured with having to be gluten-free on top of it, it would be way too complex to find a good whole grain bread. But this is great! Thank you!