Lemon Scones with a Kumquat Glaze: a Recipe


I'm not into gimmicks when it comes to scones. I like my scones simple and straight-forward, and I like to be able to taste the flavor of the grains in my four mix. This recipe is none of these things. Nonetheless, it is my finest scone recipe to date. This recipe gives you a very tart, flavorful, citrus-scented scone. It's not even difficult. Simply combine in a small saucepan:
6-8 kumquats, sliced, with the seeds removed
the juice of one lemon
1 Tbsp water
3 Tbsp sugar
Boil for 5 minutes, adjust the flavors to taste, then simmer until you are ready to top the scones. Use my scone recipe, opting for the lemon zest in the liquid component. You can go even heavier on the zest if you would like; the kumquat glaze will be very strong and will not be overpowered by the lemon zest. I made mini scones this time, which gives you a higher number of scones for the same recipe. I topped the scones with 1-2 kumquat slices per scone, then dripped a few drops of the glaze onto each scone as well. Alternately, the glaze can be applied once the scones are baked. Just be sure you keep the glaze hot until you're ready to use it or it will be too sticky to pour.
Do you crave more lemony recipes?  Go to the Gluten-free Homemaker's blog and check out her blog carnival.

Comments

Rebecca said…
Wow, these look fancy! I have never cooked with kumquats before. They look beautiful atop the scones.

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread