Beer Guide - a List of 16 Gluten-free Beers

One of the only things that I missed after going gluten-free was beer.  Just a few years ago when I quit gluten for good, there wasn't much to choose from as far as gluten-free beer was concerned.  Well, we've come a long way, baby.  Here's a list of all the gluten-free beers, from best to worst according to my personal preference.

I'll list only beers that are commercially available in the Portland area, and most of them will be available beyond.  (Note that Deschutes gluten-free beer is only available at their brewery locations and isn't included on this list.  I've done a number of posts on it, so search "Deschutes" on this site for more information about it.)  I'll link to posts that I've written for more in-depth reviews.  I'll also make this page a tab at the top of my blog for easy access.

#1 Green's Quest Trippel Blonde Ale - A complex Belgian ale
#2 Green's Endeavor Dubbel Dark Ale - A fruity dark Belgian ale
#3 Estrella Damm Daura Lager - A beautiful clean barley flavor
#4 Omission Pale Ale - A stand-up pale ale
#5 Omission Lager - A regular lager
#6 Green's Discovery Amber Ale - A nice, hoppy amber
#7 St. Peter's Sorghum Beer - Citrus and hops
#8 Harvester Dark Ale - Nice and dark
#9 Harvester Red Ale - Nice and red
#10 Harvester Pale Ale - Nice and hoppy
#11 Red Bridge Beer - Your fall-back economy GF beer
#12 Bard's Tale Beer - Malty sorghum
#13 New Planet Off Grid Pale Ale - A sorghum-y pale ale
#14 New Planet Tread Lightly Ale - A nice light ale
#15 New Planet 3R Raspberry Ale - A not-too-sweet raspberry ale
#16 New Grist Beer - The worst beer ever


I'll keep this list updated with all kinds of Gluten-free beer.  I haven't had some of these beers in a while, so I may revise my ranking as I revisit some of these.  In particular, I suspect that the Harvester Ales are still coming into their own and may work their way up in my personal rankings.  Stay tuned to find out.  In-depth reviews will come with photos of a pint of beer and images of the beer bottle for easier detection in the store.

Need a place to find gluten-free beer in Portland?  Go to Belmont Station for the most comprehensive offering.  They have almost everything on this list.

Is there a beer that I missed?  Is there something new on the horizon?  Please let me know about it!


Comments

Pat O said…
FYI, New Grist has improved their recipe since the first time I tried it. I feel it is much better now than it used to be.
Gina said…
Thanks Pat! I'll definitely buy another bottle when I do a full review of the New Grist. Some people are big fans of that beer, but I never took a liking to it. I'll be curious to see what they've done!
Anonymous said…
You've missed our favorite ... Brunehaut. They have two nice organic, gluten-free beers. Seems to be available in most larger metro areas.
Gina said…
Yes, I've seen Brunehaut in other bloggers' reviews, but I haven't gotten my hands on it. I frequent the stores with good beer selection here in Portland, and there's an amazing specialty shop not too far from where I live, but I've never seen it. If I ever find it, I'll be sure to try it out - it sounds great!
Crios said…
Love the review. Really need to disclose that Omission and Daura remove gluten but aren't 100% gluten free. I get sick drinking them every single time. I'd rank New Grist over Red Bridge or New Planet. It comes as advertised, close to a Pilsner style. You nailed the top 2. Greens is amazing! I'd take any of their 4 options as the top 4 if you can stomach the price. My goal in life is to duplicate it as a home brew.

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten-free Sourdough Discard Bread

Mild Country White Sourdough Bread

Homemade Classic White Sandwich Bread